From: Joshua Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] [RFC] GDP policy updates
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 23:26:39
1 On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 17:13:01 +0000
2 Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I'd like to suggest a few changes on our GDP policy, namely:
5 >
6 > - updating the license comment if you use a different license should be
7 > mandatory (hence switch from "should" to "must")
8
9 approved.
10
11 > - drop using metadoc.xml for registering long outstanding bugs
12
13 approved. i'd forgotten that was even setup that way. we haven't used it like that in years.
14
15 > - have project lead (or delegated person) "decide" on the recruitment
16 > process / progress
17
18 approved. especially since i'm away quite a bit these days with health issues -- i read everything sent in to bugzie and the lists, but am unable to do much activity-wise. more than one designated contact, and a streamlined recruitment, is a good idea.
19
20 (i volunteer you, if you're willing. :) )
21
22 > - drop mandatory gdp quiz, make it recommended
23
24 approved, tentatively. we need to be careful going forward to make sure that folks at least know the basics of GDP so they don't break the tree (and/or their translations). the point of the quiz is to make sure that everyone is "on the same page" so that we don't have wildly different code styles, broken code, or lacking knowledge on how to do "stuff."
25
26 we can keep an eye on potential new recruits without the up-front strict requirements; make sure they know what they're doing. we do already have guidelines in place for translations for example, where we do as-is or reject-all for proxy commits, so...this new way of doing it could fit right in. though a revised quiz might not be a bad idea.
27
28 as it is, i've caught a lot of errors on every quiz i've reviewed, so it is good that folks get their misconceptions corrected early in the process, so they spend more time writing good code, and less re-writing bad.
31 thanks again for your extensive review and suggestions, sven! (and for inadvertently giving me a needed kick-in-the-pants.) i'm in favor of making all these changes happen.