From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] pc (usb) based logic analyzers
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 20:13:54
1 On Tuesday 31 March 2009 14:42:42 wireless wrote:
2 > Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > what do people use for their logic analyzers needs ? i'm looking for
4 > > something that:
5 > > - is portable (smaller the better)
6 > > - usb based
7 > > - runs under Linux (preferably using open source software)
8 > > - at least 50mhz
9 > > - at least 8 probes
10 > > and no, i dont want to build my own :). i'm not a hardware hacker, plus
11 > > the thing needs to be durable when i slam it around in my bag while
12 > > traveling.
13 > >
14 > > through work i have an Acute Pocket-LA 1616, but it's Windows only.
15 > > their usb stack is custom so it requires custom windows kernel drivers
16 > > which means running under wine is a no go. and their software frontend
17 > > isnt the greatest piece of work to begin with ...
18 >
19 > If you just want to sniff usb check this out:
20 >
21 > http://www.pcausa.com/Utilities/UsbSnoop/default.htm
22
23 ive used usbsnoop in the past ... Linux has a nicer way of snooping USB
24 packets. but no, i'm not looking for USB stuff (my company has a real
25 expensive machine anyways for doing USB analysis).
26
27 > If you are looking for a full blown logic analyzer
28 > then there are many listed in most Circuit cellar magazines
29 > (embedded hackery).
30
31 never heard of this magazine
32
33 > These lower end scope/LA sometimes are limited at to what
34 > types of buss they can attach to and analyze
35 > (this assumes you are indeed using the LA
36 > as a buss analyser) such as I2C, SPI, one wire.
37
38 i do work with I2C/SPI often, but sometimes i'm watching gpios (so there is no
39 protocol). the current LA doesnt have bus analyzer software (as i said, it's
40 kind of crappy), so any decoding support would be a step up ;).
41
42 > I'll list a few from the first copy I found in the
43 > office for you:
44 >
45 > saleae.com ($149 us)
46
47 this looks real promising
48
49 > Digiview ($499) www.tech-tools.com
50
51 i e-mailed them and they said they dont support Linux
52
53 > One of the most popular devices (vendors) is
54 > bit scope. There device may suit your
55 > LA needs.
56 >
57 > www.bitscope.com/design
58
59 they say they fully support Linux, so i'll probably give these guys a shot
60
61 > Many others exist. Talk to vendor about a
62 > 30 day return policy, if you are not
63 > happy with the device.
64
65 i wasnt aware of this ... i'll make sure to ask :)
66 -mike