From: wireless <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] pc (usb) based logic analyzers
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 18:43:46
1 Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > what do people use for their logic analyzers needs ? i'm looking for
3 > something that:
4 > - is portable (smaller the better)
5 > - usb based
6 > - runs under Linux (preferably using open source software)
7 > - at least 50mhz
8 > - at least 8 probes
9 > and no, i dont want to build my own :). i'm not a hardware hacker, plus the
10 > thing needs to be durable when i slam it around in my bag while traveling.
11 >
12 > through work i have an Acute Pocket-LA 1616, but it's Windows only. their usb
13 > stack is custom so it requires custom windows kernel drivers which means
14 > running under wine is a no go. and their software frontend isnt the greatest
15 > piece of work to begin with ...
18 If you just want to sniff usb check this out:
19
20 http://www.pcausa.com/Utilities/UsbSnoop/default.htm
23 If you are looking for a full blown logic analyzer
24 then there are many listed in most Circuit cellar magazines
25 (embedded hackery).
26
27 These lower end scope/LA sometimes are limited at to what
28 types of buss they can attach to and analyze
29 (this assumes you are indeed using the LA
30 as a buss analyser) such as I2C, SPI, one wire.
31
32 I'll list a few from the first copy I found in the
33 office for you:
34
35 saleae.com ($149 us)
36
37 Digiview ($499) www.tech-tools.com
40 I have not used either, as we have a very cool
41 HP Scope/128ch LA in the office....
44 If you purchase a low end LA, make sure it works on the
45 buss/interface/circuit you are working on as many
46 are niche devices and not general purpose LA devices....
47
48 I know you are not a DIY, but, many of the chip vendors
49 design projects (atmel, freescale, microchip end up
50 having entries for LA or scope or meters. Often the
51 hacker that puts it together, provides kits you
52 assemble yourself or completely finished products
53 complete with 100% source code.
54
55 One of the most popular devices (vendors) is
56 bit scope. There device may suit your
57 LA needs.
58
59 www.bitscope.com/design
62 Many others exist. Talk to vendor about a
63 30 day return policy, if you are not
64 happy with the device.
67 caveat emport!
70 hth,