From: "Samuel T. Cossette" <samuel@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Gentoo Embedded Linux on Linksys Blue Boxes
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 17:10:00
1 Hi,
2
3 Why don't you use OpenWRT? You can easily install most packages (don't know
4 for mtr) you want.
5
6 bye,
7
8 -samuel
9
10 > Hello all,
11 >
12 > We're planning to deploy Linux based VPN client using IPSec on our
13 > branches which will have a downstream/upstream of 256Kbps DSL
14 > connection. Our VPN gateway which will be located in our main office
15 > will run on an OpenS/WAN VPN implementation. My first question is, do
16 > you guys think that the Linksys [1]BEFSR41 or the [2]WRT54G can cater
17 > the said requirement? All of the VPN clients will have a single server
18 > behind them and connected through a crossover cable only. The VPN
19 > connection is actually dedicated to the server behind each VPN clients.
20 >
21 > My only concerns of the two said Linksys appliances when it comes to
22 > their hardware specifications are:
23 >
24 > [a] 200Mhz processor
25 > [b] 4MB flash drives
26 > [c] 16MB RAM
27 >
28 > My three main reasons why I'm planning to make use of either of the said
29 > appliances are [a]cheaper cost of the box, [b]low power consumption and
30 > [c]small enough that is basically can save space.
31 >
32 > My second question is, do you guys think that with the said hardware
33 > specifications, it is possible to install Gentoo Linux in it? Or, has
34 > anyone able to install Gentoo Linux in it primarily used as a VPN
35 > client?
36 >
37 > Below are the tools that I need so far for the VPN client:
38 >
39 > [a] IPTables
40 > [b] VPN client
41 > [c] OpenSSH
42 > [d] RP-PPPoE
43 > [e] IPTraf
44 > [f] nmap
45 > [g] mtr
46 >
47 > Your inputs and suggestions are very much appreciated.
48 >
49 > Thanks in advance.
52 > ---
53 > Linux GNUbie <gnubieATgmailDOTcom>
56 > [1] http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=20&grid=5
57 > [2] http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=508&scid=35
58 >
59 > --
60 > gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list
65 Samuel T. Cossette
66 samuel@×××××××.org, 1.418.8o2.784o
67 << Well, that's for me to know and you to find out. >> Jeffrey, Blue Velvet
70 gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list