From: Linux GNUbie <gnubie@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] Gentoo Embedded Linux on Linksys Blue Boxes
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 16:42:32
1 Hello all,
2
3 We're planning to deploy Linux based VPN client using IPSec on our
4 branches which will have a downstream/upstream of 256Kbps DSL
5 connection. Our VPN gateway which will be located in our main office
6 will run on an OpenS/WAN VPN implementation. My first question is, do
7 you guys think that the Linksys [1]BEFSR41 or the [2]WRT54G can cater
8 the said requirement? All of the VPN clients will have a single server
9 behind them and connected through a crossover cable only. The VPN
10 connection is actually dedicated to the server behind each VPN clients.
11
12 My only concerns of the two said Linksys appliances when it comes to
13 their hardware specifications are:
14
15 [a] 200Mhz processor
16 [b] 4MB flash drives
17 [c] 16MB RAM
18
19 My three main reasons why I'm planning to make use of either of the said
20 appliances are [a]cheaper cost of the box, [b]low power consumption and
21 [c]small enough that is basically can save space.
22
23 My second question is, do you guys think that with the said hardware
24 specifications, it is possible to install Gentoo Linux in it? Or, has
25 anyone able to install Gentoo Linux in it primarily used as a VPN
26 client?
27
28 Below are the tools that I need so far for the VPN client:
29
30 [a] IPTables
31 [b] VPN client
32 [c] OpenSSH
33 [d] RP-PPPoE
34 [e] IPTraf
35 [f] nmap
36 [g] mtr
37
38 Your inputs and suggestions are very much appreciated.
39
40 Thanks in advance.
43 ---
44 Linux GNUbie <gnubieATgmailDOTcom>