From: "Eero Lemmelä" <eero.lemmela@×××.fi>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Gentoo Embedded Linux on Linksys Blue Boxes
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 18:57:21
1 On 00:42 Sun 24 Apr, Linux GNUbie wrote:
2 > Hello all,
3 >
4 > We're planning to deploy Linux based VPN client using IPSec on our
5 > branches which will have a downstream/upstream of 256Kbps DSL
6 > connection. Our VPN gateway which will be located in our main office
7 > will run on an OpenS/WAN VPN implementation. My first question is, do
8 > you guys think that the Linksys [1]BEFSR41 or the [2]WRT54G can cater
9 > the said requirement? All of the VPN clients will have a single server
10 > behind them and connected through a crossover cable only. The VPN
11 > connection is actually dedicated to the server behind each VPN clients.
12 >
13 > My only concerns of the two said Linksys appliances when it comes to
14 > their hardware specifications are:
15 >
16 > [a] 200Mhz processor
17 > [b] 4MB flash drives
18 > [c] 16MB RAM
19
20 I have a Linksys WRT54G v2.2 running OpenWRT. If you haven't already
21 checked it out, I think you should:
22
23 http://openwrt.org/
24
25 I bought my unit at the time when v2.2 had just been published and wasn't
26 officially supported by OpenWRT (still isn't). I played around with the
27 unit quite a lot at the time and now it is pretty unstable (random
28 reboots) under heavy load... BUT my friend has a similar unit and he hasn't
29 had any problems with it. We both have a 10 Mbps downstream/upstream DSL,
30 so my problems are propably due to my experiments. I'm pretty confident
31 that you would be just fine.
32
33 > My second question is, do you guys think that with the said hardware
34 > specifications, it is possible to install Gentoo Linux in it?
35
36 I think it could be possible, but what do I know: I'm a newbie with this
37 sort of stuff.
38
39 If someone has or is going to try to install Gentoo to Linksys WRT54G,
40 I'm eager to contribute at least by testing!
41
42 > Below are the tools that I need so far for the VPN client:
43 >
44 > [a] IPTables
45 > [b] VPN client
46 > [c] OpenSSH
47 > [d] RP-PPPoE
48 > [e] IPTraf
49 > [f] nmap
50 > [g] mtr
51
52 There is a package tracker for OpenWRT:
53
54 http://nthill.free.fr/openwrt/tracker/
55
56 Didn't find nmap nor mtr, but the rest are available.
59 - Eero
60 --
61 gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list