From: David Ford <david@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Correct uclibc profile to use?
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 16:53:05
1 Personally, I am for permitting HTML, or rich text email. I quite
2 prefer to use rich mail. I am also judicious in it's use so it's not
3 bloated like M$ mail.
4
5 This list has very rabid anti-html users. They would rather pollute
6 emails with a large amount of spaces to position their content and odd
7 characters to represent barely decipherable graphic content than use a
8 language designed for marking up and laying out the presentation.
9
10 Eventually their kind will grow old and the younger generation will take
11 over. They will go the way of the 74 column force wrapped emails who
12 went the way of the 36 column force wrapped emails, etc, etc.
13
14 All their excuses are entirely lame. All modern mailing list software can:
15
16 a) reform mail from HTML to plain text
17 b) archive both plain text and HTML mail just fine
18
19 All modern MUAs can also present the end user with plain text
20 representations of HTML or use the text/plain mime part instead of the
21 text/html mime part whether it is native or by sub shell.
22
23 This particular subject comes up several times a year and will continue to.
24
25 HTML mail is neither ignorant nor non-standard but you will definitely
26 have several people on this list lambast you as such.
27
28 Further, I consider these people hypocrites since most of them run
29 websites and use HTML markup. Why don't they make plain text web
30 pages? Their content can be expressed just as stone age appearing as
31 their text email is expressed.
32
33 ^_^
34
35 -david
36
37 Ed W wrote:
38 > Mike Frysinger wrote:
39 >>
40 >>> You appear to be using KMail which supports html mail just fine...
41 >>>
42 >>
43 >> which ive disabled so i dont have to deal with it. replies/quoting easily
44 >> break and destroy followups. all so people can force their preferred viewing
45 >> font on others.
48 > Actually, getting all technical on you for a moment, but at least in
49 > theory HTML has the ability to properly support replies and quoting as
50 > part of it's standard
51 >
52 > ...Absolutely with you though that the most popular MUA in most
53 > circles is Outlook and this fails even to reply and create a proper
54 > indent let alone using decent use of HTML tags... Oh well.
55 >
56 > Not really sure what Thunderbird does - it prompts sometimes and
57 > othertimes does it's own thing.. Hope this is plain text?
58 >
59 >> if you want to make the argument on a non-technical list, go for it. open
60 >> source technical lists (such as this one) have all banned html. get with it
61 >> or dont post.
64 > I already nailed my colours to the mast as someone who cares (remember
65 > I serve customers with only 20KB/minute of bandwidth!) - I was
66 > pointing out that this debate pops up time and time again and
67 > basically it's like trying to hold back the tide...
68 >
69 > For what it's worth I have a very clever filtering setup as part of my
70 > ISP arrangement which simply automatically converts html to plain text
71 > and archives the original so that you can get it back again if you
72 > need it, etc. I think if you really want plain text only then it's
73 > far easier to just setup the mailing list to convert all mails
74 > automatically than it is to try and badger users to change their habits...
75 >
76 > Personally I think this is a problem solvable by computer and I'm all
77 > in favour of stuff where teh computer does the work rather than humans
78 > having to press one more key just to do something (which is basically
79 > also your complaint). I can point you towards some html flattener
80 > software if you are the admin for this list?
81 >
82 > Good luck
83 >
84 > Ed W