From: Gentoo <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] ebuild deps and cross-compiling
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 12:03:08
1 On Fri, 2010-04-23 at 15:20 +0400, Sergey Mironov wrote:
2 > Hello.
3 > I am maintaining small arm tree built with gentoo crosstools. My
4 > rootfs is based on busybox, which has implementation of udev (called
5 > mdev). My questions are about bad things i found while working with
6 > it.
7 >
8 > Recently i have to compile sys-devel/libtool to get libltdl - one of
9 > its runtime libs. The ebuild has following deps:
10 >
11 > RDEPEND="sys-devel/gnuconfig
12 > >=sys-devel/autoconf-2.60
13 > >=sys-devel/automake-1.10.1"
14 > DEPEND="${RDEPEND}
15 > || ( app-arch/xz-utils app-arch/lzma-utils )
16 > sys-apps/help2man"
17 >
18 > I think that auto* tools are not required on target system for ltdl to
19 > work. More, those auto-tools implicitly require bash which is not
20 > installed in system.
21 >
22 > I solved the problem by fixing the ebuild in local overlay but it is
23 > just workaround. Should i register a libtool bug? Maybe (just guess)
24 > one should split libtool into 'runtime' and 'buildtime' packets?
25 >
26 > Here is another issue:
27 > Lets look at dev-libs/openct ebuild.
28 >
29 > RDEPEND="pcsc-lite? ( sys-apps/pcsc-lite )
30 > usb? ( virtual/libusb:0 )
31 > >=sys-fs/udev-096"
34 Sounds like openct should use virtual/dev-manager vs a hard-coded udev
35 dep. But then again there is probably a reason that the dev opted to use
36 >=0.96, so you should probably read the ChangeLog and dig around to
37 perhaps see why. It could be something as simple/silly as gentoo
38 providing an init script to go along with it.
43 > My system doesn't have udev. It has mdev from busybox. Openct docs
44 > says that mdev is ok, so should i register an ebuild-bug and suggest
45 > something like 'udev useflag'? There are util-linux dependencies,
46 > which are also incompatible with busybox. I am in doubt.
47 >
48 > Will be glad to hear your opinion.
51 You should file a bugs for both the libtool problem and the openct
52 problem with the respective maintainers. Feel free to CC: embedded@ on
53 the bug.