From: David Bryson <mutex@g.o>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Making a stripped-down version of Perl
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 23:47:56
1 On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 06:27:29PM -0400 or thereabouts, Ren? Rh?aume wrote:
2 > > Still probably no harm in having a minimalistic perl around in the
3 > > portage tree. We just cant promote such ideas and being any part of
4 > > proper embedded solutions due to file size and memory/cpu consumption
5 > > that goes along with using perl itself.
6 > Exactly, I would like a minimalistic Perl, not pushing Perl into
7 > embedded systems really. I just thought embedded projects like cutting
8 > the fat. Sorry for the inconvenience my wording caused. As miniperl
9 > means trouble, I will try the perl-base way.
12 > > Weather putting autotools on an embedded system is
13 > > wrong or not... you can build a very small version of
14 > > Perl if you are using uClibc. Then just control which
15 > > perl packages you emerge.
16 > I was writing about the main Perl package only, not the extra CPAN modules.
19 I put perl on my embedded system, yes it was large, but I had the whole thing
20 down to 26megs(cramfs) and it ran very well.
21
22 I poked around with miniperl for about few hours and it became clear it
23 wasn't worth the effort. I ended up just deleting the extraneous perl stuff
24 after the install and it was down to around 8megs.
25 I also needed some extra modules like IO-Socket and IO-Multicast, which would
26 not have been easy to integrate with minperl.
27
28 you can put perl on an embedded system and not go to jail i promise ;-).