From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] help in choosing DB engine for embedded application
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 15:06:31
1 Hi Mirage,
2
3 Mirage ha wrote:
4 > I do not know if this is the correct place to post this question or
5 > not but as you have experience in embedded field i expected you
6 > will help me.
7
8 Although the question is not very specific to Gentoo I do agree with
9 you that it can be relevant in this group.
12 > I facing a problem in choosing database engine for my application
13 > my manager suggested to use files (e.g. txt files ) , i suggested
14 > to use berkeley db.
15 > So could you tell me which is better and if there is better solution
16 > (better db engine) please tell me.
17
18 Unfortunately there is no simple answer to this question. The best
19 solution depends on many things that probably only you or your
20 department knows; data structure, data access patterns (reads/writes
21 1:1, 10:1, 100:1 ?), number of updates per time period, size of
22 updates, and so on, and so on.
23
24 Choosing the best database solution is always a difficult task.
27 > also if there is link to good database benchmark comparison please
28 > send it.
29
30 For the reasons I mention above it is also very difficult to create
31 good database benchmarks. Some databases already include a
32 benchmarking suite, but that will be tuned to the particular workload
33 that the particular database handles the very best. It's marketing
34 basically.
35
36 Besides performance there can also be factors such as time to
37 market/previous developer experience to consider - if the system does
38 not have a critical performance requirement then it may be better to
39 choose a database which allows the most rapid delivery of the
40 product.
41
42 And there are even further dimensions to the database question - it
43 is a very difficult one to answer.
44
45 If you can describe some of the things I mentioned above, in
46 particular the properties of your data, and the access patterns, then
47 it may be possible for people to offer suggestions - but knowing more
48 about the application may also only lead to more questions needed to
49 find the best answer.
52 //Peter