From: Vladimir Pouzanov <farcaller@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] gentoo-embedded buildroot utility
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 11:26:39
1 On 3/15/07, Natanael Copa <natanael.copa@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Then in tbz2's you have everything, including doc's, .a files, headers
3 > etc. If you are not going to use this stuff on your end target, why
4 > waste the bandwith? Sure in our part of the world where we have bandwith
5 > this is no big deal but there are part of the world where bandwith still
6 > is expensive and slow. So I wanted to strip this out from the binary
7 > package.
8
9 One way to partially achieve this is nodoc/noinfo/noman, however it
10 still keeps headers and other garbage. I'm handling it with a
11 converter to my own tbz2-like format, but I use squashfs to store
12 files. Converter also does the job of splitting tbz to several such
13 squashfs files like abc-2.3, abc-2.3-dev, abc-2.3-man, etc.
14
15 > Then there was the problem with package that needed to create a user or
16 > something like that in pkg_postinst. Calling pkg_postinst would need to
17 > read the ebuild which would require bash + loads of eclasses. It could
18 > also be be very handy to have a hook for executing something specific my
19 > distro. This was also lacking in tbz2.
20
21 You have to choose between size and flexibility here. Squashfs pack (I
22 really like this format ;) ) of portage/eclass is 429.90Kb. This is
23 not critical for my handheld, however it would be hard to fit same
24 into my router.
27 Sincerely,
28 Vladimir "Farcaller" Pouzanov
29 http://hackndev.com