From: Natanael Copa <natanael.copa@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] gentoo-embedded buildroot utility
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 09:13:54
1 On Wed, 2007-03-14 at 15:45 -0700, Ned Ludd wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2007-03-14 at 23:29 +0100, Sune Kloppenborg Jeppesen wrote:
3 > > On Wednesday 14 March 2007 22:33, Ned Ludd wrote:
4 > > > Your project seems very similar to that of the former GNAP (sadly the
5 > > > old GNAP developer is no longer with us)
6 > > > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/gnap.xml
7 >
8 > > Bass and myself are trying to continue GNAP developement. ATM outside of
9 > > official Gentoo infrastructure. At least I've fixed most reported bugs
10 > > locally and updated everything so it still builds and runs fine.
11 >
12 > Any plans for cross support?
15 > > I think Bass is playing around with an idea to make packages somewhat like
16 > > ipkg packages for OpenWRT.
17 >
18 > We did this years ago and stopped it cuz it was a bad idea. I even had
19 > an tbz2ipkg script and for a brief period of time. We even had
20 > multi-packages at one point. In the end the only way I saw to move
21 > forward with proper gentoo intrgration was to accept that our native
22 > format is .tbz2 and it would be best to work with it. (ala qmerge in
23 > portage-utils..)
24
25 I also tried running ipkg but there were issues so I went for the
26 previosly mentioned apk-tools.
27
28 I originally wanted to use native tbz2's (i think i even tried to
29 contribute with code) but for various reasons I gave up that.
30
31 One of the first things that hit me was that the REDPEND was way to
32 often wrong. (as long things compiled and run the developer was happy) I
33 got tired of filing bugs so chosed to rather use the info in NEEDED to
34 figure out the dependencies for DSO's and then try handle the rest
35 manually. Things might have changed since then though.
36
37 Then in tbz2's you have everything, including doc's, .a files, headers
38 etc. If you are not going to use this stuff on your end target, why
39 waste the bandwith? Sure in our part of the world where we have bandwith
40 this is no big deal but there are part of the world where bandwith still
41 is expensive and slow. So I wanted to strip this out from the binary
42 package.
43
44 Then there was the problem with package that needed to create a user or
45 something like that in pkg_postinst. Calling pkg_postinst would need to
46 read the ebuild which would require bash + loads of eclasses. It could
47 also be be very handy to have a hook for executing something specific my
48 distro. This was also lacking in tbz2.
49
50 I also wanted several verions of same package but with different
51 useflags. For example, I wanted a package ulogd with postgres support
52 and one without. Something similar to openbsd's flavoured pacakges. This
53 is impossible with current tbz2 format without dealing with 2 different
54 repositories.
55
56 All the above is currently solved with apk-tools.
57
58 Natanael Copa
61 gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list