From: Anthony Russello <arussello@××××××.com>
To: Quentin Arce <qarce@×××××.com>, gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Cc: qarce@×××××.com, Anthony Russello <arussello@××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] PPC embedded base package
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 18:19:56
1 Hi Quentin,
2
3 Thanks for getting back to me.
4
5 Currently I'm working on the third option you listed
6 below. I've actually been building a base system
7 completely from scratch, utilizing busybox, glibc,
8 boa, samba 2.2.x, and sysvinit for the core apps.
9
10 What I was hoping was that there would already be, at
11 the very least, a package that would contain the
12 rootfs, device nodes, etc.
13
14 Also, I saw recent work on adding emerge to busybox,
15 which would be handy during initial development
16 (chroot'ing into the rootfs, and then using the
17 busybox emerge to install some packages).
18
19 Any thoughts on this?
20
21 Thanks,
22 Anthony
23
24 --- Quentin Arce <qarce@×××××.com> wrote:
27 > Anthony,
28 >
29 > I have looked at this in my work and at home. Work
30 > we
31 > have used the 8248 and 8245. Home, I am working on
32 > a
33 > small x86 based system. Gentoo will work for your
34 > target... but, you really want to think about if you
35 > should. Think long term support. Also, think about
36 > the build system, stability. In working on my own
37 > mini x86 based linux distro based on Gentoo... So,
38 > far... you can do it. You can cross compile it,
39 > but,
40 > there are still some packages that don't seem to
41 > work
42 > just yet. You want the base layout lite. And you
43 > want a system based on Busybox for the size you are
44 > targeting. Check out the portage profiles:
45 >
46 > /usr/portage/profiles/embedded
47 > /usr/portage/profiles/uclibc
48 > /usr/portage/profiles/default-ppc-2004.3
49 >
50 > I am now using the uclibc for my x86 project. I
51 > used
52 > the default-ppc-2004.3 to build a 8248 rootfs. The
53 > size was way too big to be burned into the flash
54 > though.
55 >
56 > You could come up with your own custom profile,
57 > inject
58 > any packages you need and then you could use
59 > portage.
60 >
61 > OR
62 >
63 > You could use something like Debian to build a mini
64 > root and strip it of all cruft. (hint, hint) You
65 > could even do this on an x86 system and then write a
66 > few scripts to fix the post scripts from the deb
67 > install. (hint hint) Then just sync the built root
69 > another directory, clean the clone and build a jffs2
70 > image.
71 >
72 > OR
73 >
74 > You can go the full custom route via LFS or your own
75 > home grown.
78 > I have learned quite a bit since I started with ppc
79 > embedded. I'm still learning with mini x86.
80 >
81 > Q
85 > --- Anthony Russello <arussello@××××××.com> wrote:
86 > > Hi,
87 > >
88 > > Thanks for the reply, I'm sorry it took so long to
89 > > get back to you, but
90 > > I never received an email to me until the digest
91 > > caught up.
92 > >
93 > > We're working on a small NAS-like device. Very
94 > > light weight, and
95 > > targetting to consumers rather than businesses, so
96 > > everything will be
97 > > pretty simple.
98 > >
99 > > I'm currently working on getting a 2.6.x kernel up
100 > > on the early boards.
101 > > Once that's up and running, I'll be working on the
102 > > rootfs. I've been
103 > > doing a lot of checking as far as dependencies go,
104 > > and I've got the
105 > > libraries narrowed down substantially. We're also
106 > > using the 2.2.x samba
107 > > branch, since the 3.x branch requires a large
108 > number
109 > > of libraries that
110 > > we don't want to include.
111 > >
112 > > I've been ensuring that every binary going into
113 > the
114 > > image is stripped so
115 > > far as well.
116 > >
117 > > I guess I was kind of hoping that the gentoo
118 > > embedded group was working
119 > > with small root filesystem sizes, and whether or
120 > not
121 > > there was a base
122 > > layout package that would simply contain things
123 > like
124 > > pre-populated /dev,
125 > > and other absolutely essential sources like that.
126 > >
127 > > Are there any plans for such a package? Perhaps
128 > > with makefiles that
129 > > would leverage cross compilers to create a base
130 > > system for target X on
131 > > host Y?
132 > >
133 > > It would make embedded development incredibly easy
134 > > with cross compilers
135 > > and base layout packages of that sort ready to be
136 > > emerged into /opt or
137 > > something like that.
138 > >
139 > > Thanks,
140 > > Anthony
141 > >
142 > > On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 08:29 -0700, Quentin Arce