From: Quentin Arce <qarce@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Cc: qarce@×××××.com, Anthony Russello <arussello@××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] PPC embedded base package
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 17:49:01
1 Anthony,
2
3 I have looked at this in my work and at home. Work we
4 have used the 8248 and 8245. Home, I am working on a
5 small x86 based system. Gentoo will work for your
6 target... but, you really want to think about if you
7 should. Think long term support. Also, think about
8 the build system, stability. In working on my own
9 mini x86 based linux distro based on Gentoo... So,
10 far... you can do it. You can cross compile it, but,
11 there are still some packages that don't seem to work
12 just yet. You want the base layout lite. And you
13 want a system based on Busybox for the size you are
14 targeting. Check out the portage profiles:
15
16 /usr/portage/profiles/embedded
17 /usr/portage/profiles/uclibc
18 /usr/portage/profiles/default-ppc-2004.3
19
20 I am now using the uclibc for my x86 project. I used
21 the default-ppc-2004.3 to build a 8248 rootfs. The
22 size was way too big to be burned into the flash
23 though.
24
25 You could come up with your own custom profile, inject
26 any packages you need and then you could use portage.
27
28 OR
29
30 You could use something like Debian to build a mini
31 root and strip it of all cruft. (hint, hint) You
32 could even do this on an x86 system and then write a
33 few scripts to fix the post scripts from the deb
34 install. (hint hint) Then just sync the built root to
35 another directory, clean the clone and build a jffs2
36 image.
37
38 OR
39
40 You can go the full custom route via LFS or your own
41 home grown.
44 I have learned quite a bit since I started with ppc
45 embedded. I'm still learning with mini x86.
46
47 Q
51 --- Anthony Russello <arussello@××××××.com> wrote:
52 > Hi,
53 >
54 > Thanks for the reply, I'm sorry it took so long to
55 > get back to you, but
56 > I never received an email to me until the digest
57 > caught up.
58 >
59 > We're working on a small NAS-like device. Very
60 > light weight, and
61 > targetting to consumers rather than businesses, so
62 > everything will be
63 > pretty simple.
64 >
65 > I'm currently working on getting a 2.6.x kernel up
66 > on the early boards.
67 > Once that's up and running, I'll be working on the
68 > rootfs. I've been
69 > doing a lot of checking as far as dependencies go,
70 > and I've got the
71 > libraries narrowed down substantially. We're also
72 > using the 2.2.x samba
73 > branch, since the 3.x branch requires a large number
74 > of libraries that
75 > we don't want to include.
76 >
77 > I've been ensuring that every binary going into the
78 > image is stripped so
79 > far as well.
80 >
81 > I guess I was kind of hoping that the gentoo
82 > embedded group was working
83 > with small root filesystem sizes, and whether or not
84 > there was a base
85 > layout package that would simply contain things like
86 > pre-populated /dev,
87 > and other absolutely essential sources like that.
88 >
89 > Are there any plans for such a package? Perhaps
90 > with makefiles that
91 > would leverage cross compilers to create a base
92 > system for target X on
93 > host Y?
94 >
95 > It would make embedded development incredibly easy
96 > with cross compilers
97 > and base layout packages of that sort ready to be
98 > emerged into /opt or
99 > something like that.
100 >
101 > Thanks,
102 > Anthony
103 >
104 > On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 08:29 -0700, Quentin Arce