From: Christopher Friedt <chrisfriedt@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] pxa270 cflags?
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 14:21:51
1 Hi everyone,
2
3 I'm just in the middle of compiling some applications in the
4 media-video category for a pxa270 device, and I'm seeing a lot of
5 spots where potential iWMMXT hardware speedups are not being used
6 because I'm using CFLAGS="-march=armv5te -mtune=xscale". One person
7 said, there is only a difference between -mcpu=xscale and -mcpu=iwmmxt
8 when using OABI [1]. However, the -mtune=xscale flag does not properly
9 process iwmmxt instructions [2]. Is -mcpu=xscale only for pre-iwmmxt
10 pxa chips?
11
12 Does anyone know exactly which CFLAGS should be used for a pxa270 chip?
13
14 A binary compiled with -mcpu=iwmmxt still shows that it has version 4
15 EABI, which is fine for me. I just find it odd that XScale ISA is
16 supposedly identical to armv5te aside from FP instructions [3], while
17 gcc fails saying that "-march=armv5te -mtune=iwmmxt" is not kosher
18 [4].
19
20 Chris
21
22 [1] http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-help/2006-09/msg00061.html
23 [2] int main(void) { __asm__ volatile ("wunpckelub wr6, wr4"); return 0; }
24 [3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XScale
25 [4] arm-softfloat-linux-gnueabi-gcc -pipe -march=armv5te -mtune=xscale
26 -o test test.c
27 {standard input}: Assembler messages:
28 {standard input}:13: Error: selected processor does not support
29 `wunpckelub wr6,wr4'