From: Natanael Copa <natanael.copa@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] software choices for embedded system
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 22:33:33
1 On Wed, 2007-07-11 at 21:53 +0100, Marcelo Coelho wrote:
2 > Hi!
5 > I'm trying to create a minimal system and using the ROOT var to set
6 > the location where I want the packages to be installed.
7 >
8 > The problems arise when I tried to choose a cron daemon: I would have
9 > to install 39 packages, including portage.
10
11 I use busybox cron. Simple but does the job.
12
13 > How can I trim the package set that would be emerged together with the
14 > cron daemon or other packages?
15
16 Build binary packages and install the binary packages on target system
17 (with qmerge?) I even use my own package format. (basicly simple tar.gz
18 files with some additional simple dependency handling)
19
20 > When emerging with the ROOT var (eg.: /var/system), the make.conf file
21 > that is used is the one that is located at that location (eg.:
22 > /var/system/etc/make.conf) ?
23 >
24 > What normally are the packages that you guys use as minimal system?
25
26 I cheat. I create stripped binary packages which i then install on the
27 target system. My alpine distro runs from RAM and install the runtime
28 packages during boot.
29
30 Here is the package list of my minimal system:
31 uclibc
32 alpine-baselayout (to use busybox init rather than sysv)
33 apk-tools (my package manager)
34 busybox
35 tdb (database for sfic)
36 sfic (traces changes in the /etc dir)
37 alpine-conf (stores changed files to usb/floppy)
38
39 Mem usage is normally around 10-15MB after a boot. Then everything is in
40 RAM and network is configured.
41
42 >From there I install the needed packages to RAM. Common packages are
43 shorewall openvpn, openswan, etc. I have some bigger packages to use my
44 distro as a light server: postgres postfix samba (got even AD support
45 working) I'm currently working on vserver to get virtualization too.
46 (managed to install and run debian as guest (on soft raid1 + lvm) in my
47 minidistro)
48
49 Everything is built with gentoo ofcourse.
52 > Thanks for the help!
55 gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list