From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: Shakthi Kannan <shakthimaan@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] General Questions
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2004 19:19:59
1 On Sat, 2004-12-04 at 13:39, Shakthi Kannan wrote:
2 > Greetings,
3 >
4 > --- Ned Ludd <solar@g.o> wrote:
5 > > A stage3 would be a complete i386-pc-linux-uclibc
6 > > build/development
7 > > environment.
8 > > The stages are suitable as a development env or for
9 > > use as a bootable
10 > > system.
11 >
12 > So, if I were to start with the installation on the
13 > target,
16 > I would need to boot with say Gentoo Live CD
17 > 2004.3, create the necessary partitions on a hard disk
18 > (for example), copy the stage3-x86.bzip2 from USB?
19
20 I don't know of any embedded devices that include support for Compact
21 Disk media.
22
23 To avoid confusion for you an others developing natively for x86 based
24 devices.. I'll quote from another mail I sent out this morn.
25 ------------------------------------------------
26 Booting livecd's is not necessary.
27 Being that you develop for x86 as I do. You don't have any of the cross compile hassle.
28 It in fact does not even have to be done from a gentoo box in the first place.
29 Simply decide if you want/need the extra security features (highly recommended in networked environments) unpack it to some directory such as.
30
31 mkdir -p /opt/i586-gentoo-uclibc-linux/usr/portage
32
33 wget http://gentoo.osuosl.org/experimental/x86/embedded/stages/stage1-x86-uclibc-hardened-2004.3.tar.bz2
34 # or
35 wget http://gentoo.osuosl.org/experimental/x86/embedded/stages/stage1-x86-uclibc-2004.3.tar.bz2
36
37 tar zxvf stage1-x86-uclibc-2004.3.tar.bz2 -C /opt/i586-gentoo-uclibc-linux/
38
39 mount --bind /proc /opt/i586-gentoo-uclibc-linux/proc
40 mount --bind /usr/portage /opt/i586-gentoo-uclibc-linux/usr/portage
41
42 chroot /opt/i586-gentoo-uclibc-linux/usr/portage /bin/bash --login
43 nano/vi/$EDITOR /etc/make.conf ; # (change what you like like CHOST=i586)
44
45 cd /usr/portage/scripts
46 ./bootstrap.sh -p -v ; # make sure everything look peachy.
47 ./bootstrap.sh
48 # after
49 emerge -e system
50 # now you have a complete development environment setup.
51
52 Now you are ready to begin building optimized packages or whatever for
53 your device.
54 I enable FEATURES=buildpkg
55 I then install these packages into yet another root via
56 ROOT=/dev/shm emerge -K busybox uclibc ; # and cleanup the target root
57 of things you don't need for runtime.
58
59 These steps can be automated.
60 --------------------------------------------------
61
62 mutext@g.o builds for his device via the catalyst tool and posted some
63 getting started instructions to this list not so long ago.
64 http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=gentoo-embedded
67 > What happens to snapshot package, kernel sources,
68 > bootloader?
69
70 I do not understand this question. Can you rephrase please?
71
72 > Should I use the ones in the CD?
73 >
74 > Thanks,
75 >
76 > K Shakthi
77 >
78 > =====
79 > --------------------------------------------------------------------------
80 > K Shakthi
81 > Specsoft (Hexaware Technologies), ASIC Design Center
82 > http://www.geocities.com/shakthimaan
88 > Do you Yahoo!?
89 > Meet the all-new My Yahoo! - Try it today!
90 > http://my.yahoo.com
94 > --
95 > gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list
96 --
97 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
98 Gentoo (hardened,security,infrastructure,embedded) Developer