From: Ryan Tandy <tarpman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Configuration of an embedded system
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 18:50:57
1 On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 11:13:46AM -0000, Gareth McClean wrote:
2 > a) Do any open source projects target the initial setup of an embedded
3 > system i.e. basics like manually configuring an Ethernet port, configuration
4 > of wireless networking or possibly other essentials like hostname, timezone,
5 > etc?
6
7 I either use Gentoo's baselayout or openrc, or write my own simple init
8 script, depending on what I'm doing. I don't know of any init system
9 projects that are targeted specifically at embedded.
10
11 > b) If not, do you perform your 'out-of-the-box setup' i.e. did you create
12 > your own set of tools using packages like awk, sed, perl etc?
13
14 Again, depending on the scale of the project, I use either a stripped
15 down Gentoo system or a simple Busybox-based system.
16
17 > c) How are you communicating with the user during the installation process?
18
19 Most of the systems I'm used to aren't designed to be installed by a
20 user - at least the software side of things.
21
22 > c) Are there any intentions to migrate the Linux 'system configuration' into
23 > a machine readable format like XML.
24
25 No. Do you have any idea how long it takes to read and write XML?
26
27 > Ignore that that might sound like a call to implement the equivalent
28 > of the windows registry
29
30 It doesn't, although it does sound like unnecessary overhead.
31
32 > and focus on the fact I am concerned about the potential issues of
33 > processing unstructured, human readable text files
34
35 Which issues? All of the base system configuration files seem fairly
36 structured to me. At any rate I'd much rather be parsing simple text
37 files than XML. Which files are you having trouble with?
38
39 > and want an easy/reliable way to programmatically change the system
40 > configuration and manage future system updates.
41
42 Most people that I know of solve these problems with shell or
43 perl/python/language-of-the-moment scripts.
44
45 Bear in mind that these are just my opinions; other people on the list
46 will doubtless disagree with them. :)
47
48 Thanks,
49 Ryan