From: Daniel Stonier <d.stonier@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Configuration of an embedded system
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 07:31:43
1 2008/11/20 Ryan Tandy <tarpman@×××××.com>:
2 > On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 11:13:46AM -0000, Gareth McClean wrote:
3 >> a) Do any open source projects target the initial setup of an embedded
4 >> system i.e. basics like manually configuring an Ethernet port, configuration
5 >> of wireless networking or possibly other essentials like hostname, timezone,
6 >> etc?
7 >
8 > ...
9 >> b) If not, do you perform your 'out-of-the-box setup' i.e. did you create
10 >> your own set of tools using packages like awk, sed, perl etc?
11 >
12 > Again, depending on the scale of the project, I use either a stripped
13 > down Gentoo system or a simple Busybox-based system.
14 >
15 I just set up a control board and was also wondering about the best way to
16 create a runtime root. Since a control board only requires a few packages,
17 busybox ended up being really simple. I put the kernel and rootfs in ram
18 and let the user manually extend it by mounting a drive
19 on /usr/local where they can dump any extra binaries and libs they want.
20 But I wouldn't recommend it for a system where you wanted to pile on
21 packages up to the point of needing an x server.
22
23 I also tried gentoo's crossdev to create a root fs, thinking that would be
24 really easy just to xmerge in the right packages. But you end up with alot
25 of cruft that way, and the other problem is most ebuilds aren't set up to
26 work with cross-compiling out of the box (lots of bugs), so xmerge falls
27 over alot.
28
29 The other option I tried is openembedded. Which for me, was using a sledge
30 hammer on a tiny nail. Probably really good as your embedded project scales
31 up though - it gives you a way of defining your filesystem/package
32 configuration.
33
34 >> c) How are you communicating with the user during the installation process?
35 >
36 > Most of the systems I'm used to aren't designed to be installed by a
37 > user - at least the software side of things.
38 >
39 >> c) Are there any intentions to migrate the Linux 'system configuration' into
40 >> a machine readable format like XML.
41 >
42 > No. Do you have any idea how long it takes to read and write XML?
43 >
44 >> Ignore that that might sound like a call to implement the equivalent
45 >> of the windows registry
46 >
47 > It doesn't, although it does sound like unnecessary overhead.
48 >
49 >> and focus on the fact I am concerned about the potential issues of
50 >> processing unstructured, human readable text files
51 >
52 > Which issues? All of the base system configuration files seem fairly
53 > structured to me. At any rate I'd much rather be parsing simple text
54 > files than XML. Which files are you having trouble with?
55 >
56 >> and want an easy/reliable way to programmatically change the system
57 >> configuration and manage future system updates.
58 >
59 > Most people that I know of solve these problems with shell or
60 > perl/python/language-of-the-moment scripts.
61 >
62 > Bear in mind that these are just my opinions; other people on the list
63 > will doubtless disagree with them. :)
64 >
65 > Thanks,
66 > Ryan