From: Ryan Tandy <tarpman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Configuration of an embedded system
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 08:49:20
1 On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 04:31:38PM +0900, Daniel Stonier wrote:
2 > But you end up with alot of cruft that way
3
4 Look into INSTALL_MASK. It is true, though, that one of the things
5 Gentoo people tend to spend quite a bit of time at is stripping down
6 their images. :)
7
8 > and the other problem is most ebuilds aren't set up to work with
9 > cross-compiling out of the box (lots of bugs), so xmerge falls over
10 > alot.
11
12 I wouldn't say 'most'. Unfortunately a non-trivial chunk of the ones
13 that don't cross compile cleanly are ones that lots of people like to
14 have (notable examples include perl and python). On the other hand,
15 once you have a sane base system up, most packages should cross compile
16 with minimal trickery.
17
18 If you're struggling to get a package to compile, you can always check
19 http://tinderbox.dev.gentoo.org/ and see if anyone has left a package
20 for your target there.
21
22 > The other option I tried is openembedded.
23
24 I haven't looked into openembedded much myself, but I understand it's
25 pretty good at what it does.
26
27 Thanks,
28 Ryan