From: Marc Blumentritt <marc.blumentritt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] Re: baselayout-2, busybox and uclibc
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 16:50:51
1 Natanael Copa schrieb:
2 >> QUESTION: Are there any useful configuration tips for dropbear?
3 >
4 > default dropbear config have just worked for me.
5 OK
6
7 >> 6.) Configuration of busybox: busybox provides a lot of tools, but some
8 >> tools should not be used. I have so far identified:
9 >> - start-stop-daemon (provided by baselayout-2)
10 >
11 > I use bb start-stop-daemon (not with baselayout-2 though). It works for
12 > almost all Gentoo scripts. (postgresql is one who does not)
13
14 In baselayout-2 start-stop-daemon is a link to /sbin/rc . Therefore I
15 should disable it in bb
16
17 >> QUESTION: Are there any tools I should disable, too? Do I really need
18 >> coreutils (and ncurses, which is pulled in by coreutils) or are the
19 >> busybox tools enough (busybox provides about 69% of the tools in coreutils)?
20 >
21 > I think busybox coreutils should work. If it doesn not, we should fix
22 > busybox. (if you give me a list, I can take a look at it when i get
23 > time)
24
25 OK, I put coreutils in package.provided. I will see, if this works out.
26 If there are any problems concerning this, I will post it here.
27
28 > Here below you also say you use sysvinit. Then you can turn off bb init
29
30 In fact, at first I thought, baselayout-2 just works with sysvinit, but
31 right now I'm not so sure anymore. It would be cool to get rid of
32 sysvinit, but at the moment I will stay with it and see, if it works. I
33 can later switch to bb init. By the way, do you have a bb inittab file,
34 which works like the sysvinit inittab file for gentoo?
35
36 > i think. (unless you use it in initramfs)
37 Why? I plan to put the complete file system in initramfs and just use it
38 . Are there any problems with sysvinit?
41 > why not just run mdev -s and let mdev create everything.
42
43 Well, I think, static files are faster than running mdev. The reason for
44 this is, that I'm a genkernel user and every time my desktop pc boots,
45 it "hangs" a second or two at the mdev command, or at least I think so,
46 because this is the last message given by genkernel before the "hang"
47 time. I have not really tested, if this hang is connected to mdev, so if
48 you say, this should be faster, I would be happy to use mdev in my setup.
51 >> All files I need to fully use my media-pc I will create after booting
52 >> with mdev (from busybox) and copy them to my build machine, since I want
53 >> to use static device files.
54 >
55 > You might want to have a look at my medv config and /lib/mdev/* scripts
56 > shipped in my alpine-baselayout.
57 >
58 > http://dev.alpinelinux.org/alpine/alpine-baselayout/
59 >
60 > I have also an init.d/mdev script that let me use mdev as an udev
61 > replacement.
62
63 I will definitely look at this!
66 >> 8.) System configuration: up to now I have only two QUESTIONs:
67 >> -How do I use locals with uclibc?
68 >
69 > You mean locales? uclibc has locale support but its not good :-(
70
71 Yes, locales. Not so good means? I want german locales, because my wife
72 will use this pc, too. Can you point to good reading about uclibc and
73 locales?
74
75 By the way: bb and dropbear provide both a compilation config file in
76 portage/savedconfig and both have the USE flag savedconfig . uclibc does
77 have this USE flag, too, but does not provide a compilation config file.
78 Do you know why?
81 >> -Do I have to tell baselayout-2, that I use ash as shell?
82 >
83 > I dunno, I think /bin/sh pointing to busybox should be enough.
84 OK. Is busybox sh the shell, which is set in the compilation config (in
85 my case ash)?
86 >
87 >> 9.) install grub.
88 >>
89 >> 10.) Build kernel and initramfs from ROOT
90 >>
91 >> 11.) Boot media-pc with livecd and copy kernel, initramfs and grub files
92 >> to media-pc. QUESTION: Since I have already grub installed on my
93 >> media-pc, grub installation to boot sector is not a problem, but what do
94 >> you do, if you do not have grub installed? Boot with livecd, extract
95 >> initramfs and use installed grub to install grub to boot sector?
96 >
97 > You can use grub on livecd.
98 Ah, OK, have not thought about that!
101 >> QUESTION: Do you have any remarks?
102 >
103 > You could try busybox-1.7.x. Its a good release.
104 I switched to bb 1.7.1 .
107 Thanks for your input!
108
109 Marc