From: Natanael Copa <natanael.copa@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Re: baselayout-2, busybox and uclibc
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 11:42:51
1 On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 18:12 +0200, Marc Blumentritt wrote:
2 > Natanael Copa schrieb:
3
4 > >> 6.) Configuration of busybox: busybox provides a lot of tools, but some
5 > >> tools should not be used. I have so far identified:
6 > >> - start-stop-daemon (provided by baselayout-2)
7 > >
8 > > I use bb start-stop-daemon (not with baselayout-2 though). It works for
9 > > almost all Gentoo scripts. (postgresql is one who does not)
10 >
11 > In baselayout-2 start-stop-daemon is a link to /sbin/rc . Therefore I
12 > should disable it in bb
13
14 ok. got it.
15
16 > >> QUESTION: Are there any tools I should disable, too? Do I really need
17 > >> coreutils (and ncurses, which is pulled in by coreutils) or are the
18 > >> busybox tools enough (busybox provides about 69% of the tools in coreutils)?
19 > >
20 > > I think busybox coreutils should work. If it doesn not, we should fix
21 > > busybox. (if you give me a list, I can take a look at it when i get
22 > > time)
23 >
24 > OK, I put coreutils in package.provided. I will see, if this works out.
25 > If there are any problems concerning this, I will post it here.
26
27 thanks!
28
29 > > Here below you also say you use sysvinit. Then you can turn off bb init
30 >
31 > In fact, at first I thought, baselayout-2 just works with sysvinit, but
32 > right now I'm not so sure anymore. It would be cool to get rid of
33 > sysvinit, but at the moment I will stay with it and see, if it works. I
34 > can later switch to bb init. By the way, do you have a bb inittab file,
35 > which works like the sysvinit inittab file for gentoo?
36 >
37 > > i think. (unless you use it in initramfs)
38 > Why? I plan to put the complete file system in initramfs and just use it
39 > .
40
41 Ok, I was thinking you had initarmfs image + root, but i was wrong.
42
43 > Are there any problems with sysvinit?
44
45 No, sysvinit is just big.
46
47 > > why not just run mdev -s and let mdev create everything.
48 >
49 > Well, I think, static files are faster than running mdev. The reason for
50 > this is, that I'm a genkernel user and every time my desktop pc boots,
51 > it "hangs" a second or two at the mdev command, or at least I think so,
52 > because this is the last message given by genkernel before the "hang"
53 > time. I have not really tested, if this hang is connected to mdev, so if
54 > you say, this should be faster, I would be happy to use mdev in my setup.
55
56 Will probably be faster with static /dev, yes.
57
58 you could run mdev -s once and just copy the /dev/* to your image. (You
59 would have the list of the available devices)
60
61 > >> All files I need to fully use my media-pc I will create after booting
62 > >> with mdev (from busybox) and copy them to my build machine, since I want
63 > >> to use static device files.
64 > >
65 > > You might want to have a look at my medv config and /lib/mdev/* scripts
66 > > shipped in my alpine-baselayout.
67 > >
68 > > http://dev.alpinelinux.org/alpine/alpine-baselayout/
69 > >
70 > > I have also an init.d/mdev script that let me use mdev as an udev
71 > > replacement.
72 >
73 > I will definitely look at this!
76 > >> 8.) System configuration: up to now I have only two QUESTIONs:
77 > >> -How do I use locals with uclibc?
78 > >
79 > > You mean locales? uclibc has locale support but its not good :-(
80 >
81 > Yes, locales. Not so good means? I want german locales, because my wife
82 > will use this pc, too. Can you point to good reading about uclibc and
83 > locales?
84
85 Never used it myself. Just heard that it is only implemented half
86 heartly. I guess main problem is that not too many use it so nobody
87 really cared to implement it properly.
88
89 > By the way: bb and dropbear provide both a compilation config file in
90 > portage/savedconfig and both have the USE flag savedconfig . uclibc does
91 > have this USE flag, too, but does not provide a compilation config file.
92 > Do you know why?
93
94 uclibc config file is generated? I think you can break the uclibc
95 compile and cd to the build dir. make menuconfig, make the changes you
96 want, copy .config to /etc/portage/savedconfig/sys-libs
97
98 I don't remeber how the uclibc ebuild does things but uclibc has a
99 config file similar to busybox.
100
101 > >> -Do I have to tell baselayout-2, that I use ash as shell?
102 > >
103 > > I dunno, I think /bin/sh pointing to busybox should be enough.
104 > OK. Is busybox sh the shell, which is set in the compilation config (in
105 > my case ash)?
106
107 yes.
108