From: wireless <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] file system question
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 18:07:24
1 Ed W wrote:
2
3 > In addition to what everyone else has already noted you really need to
4 > state your tradeoff between lifetime of the flash cards and minimising
5 > the risk of loosing data.
8 Wow, this sounds like a PC programmer's statement and not
9 how an embedded designer would solve the problem. Granted
10 the poster has not provided and adequate 'specification' so
11 my point of view may or may not be precisely applicable.
14 From what I have gleaned, the developer should first look at
15 a low power system, with battery backup. If it is an
16 embedded system designed to run as such, a simple 9V battery
17 should provide years/decades of reliability to 5 nines of
18 uptime or more..... This robust research and design approach
19 will solve power cycling-data loss problems....
22 Depending on the details of the data collection sensors and
23 hardware, either redesign as low power, or put them on a
24 separate power supply. If that, (relatively) hi power supply
25 is intermittent, you only loose data for those data
26 collection intervals. You CPU/storage module never looses
27 power. Some very fast AD devices are power hogs. Other
28 (slower) AD devices are very power efficient, especially if
29 they 'sleep' (low or off power mode) when not
30 actively needed. This is controlled
34 I could go on and on, but just purchasing a SBC and trying
35 to turn it into a robust product, is rarely successful in my
36 experience. USE and SBC of the shelf to get your coders
37 coding, and get a hardware designer to look at the
38 specification, and design a low power, minimized design that
39 has what you need and nothing else.
40
41 Then when you ramp up quantity, you'll actually make a
42 profit as your competition lowers their price, you can still
43 compete. It's impossible, in my experience, to use off the
44 shelf SBC and be competitive for very long. Your competition
45 will under cut you every time....
48 hth,
49 James