From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] file system question
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2010 17:03:05
1 On 30/03/2010 19:11, wireless wrote:
2 > Ed W wrote:
5 >> In addition to what everyone else has already noted you really need to
6 >> state your tradeoff between lifetime of the flash cards and minimising
7 >> the risk of loosing data.
10 > Wow, this sounds like a PC programmer's statement and not
11 > how an embedded designer would solve the problem. Granted
12 > the poster has not provided and adequate 'specification' so
13 > my point of view may or may not be precisely applicable.
17 ...snip...
18
19 I don't disagree that you can design the system to loose power or crash
20 less frequently, but I don't see how this undermines or disagrees with
21 my statement?
22
23 Essentially you can buffer more data and hence risk more in the case of
24 a crash/power loss, or you can write more frequently which will decrease
25 the life of a write limited medium. I don't see how you have changed
26 that basic trade?
27
28 The engineering solution is to set things to balance write frequency
29 such that the media lasts "long enough", then as you say tackle the
30 other side and make the device crash/loose power less frequently.
31
32 Based on the nature of the post I assumed that the OP wanted advice on
33 tackling the software side...
34
35 Regards
36