From: wireless <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] personal compile-farm ?
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 12:51:08
1 Christopher Friedt wrote:
4 > I'm primarily interested in something that uses a smaller form-factor
5 > for power, noise pollution, and space reasons, but 4 to 8 cores
6 > probably doesn't fit in that class.
7 >
8 > Most certainly I'll be installing the maximum amount of RAM possible -
9 > i do practically all builds now using tmpfs, since RAM has gotten so
10 > amazingly cheap and fast, so yes, RAM is key.
11 >
12 > CCACHE also helps out considerably, but I haven't been using it lately
13 > out of fear that it had some interference issues with ${CROSS}-emerge
16 Hello Chris,
17
18 I feel you pain..... I've longed for an embedded, low power system
19 that I can use to replace traditional servers with and use for a
20 variety of tasks. Maybe we have some commonality of need for such
21 a cost-effect board that we can use for a distributed cluster
22 for compiling and other needs?
25 My need is to also use the same low power mobo to stream video to,
26 as a local box attached to the back of a big monitor for video
27 surveillance. Sometimes that means running a Doz OS on the mobo,
28 or installing Doz software, via wine.......
29
30 Here's what I'm looking at:Portwell WEBS-1010
31 http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Portwell-WEBS1010/?kc=LXDEMNL082609
32
33 Intel Atom-based PC that uses less than seven Watts and measures just
34 4.5 x 4.0 x 1.05 inches. The WEBS-1010 includes a miniSD socket and a
35 2.5-inch disk bay, HDMI video output, an IR receiver, and six USB
36 ports. Portwell says that the WEBS-1010 uses only six Watts in normal
37 operation, and seven Watts when playing 1080p H.264 video. "Absolutely
38 silent" when employing only its miniSD slot for storage, the device
39 can also accept a 2.5-inch, SATA hard disk drive internally.
42 My idea world would be one mobo both for the cluster, so I can grow it
43 as necessary, and the same mobo to distribute to anywhere my friends
44 need a monitor to watch their network resources or their remote video
45 surveillance streams......
48 I like AMD, they seem to have their priorities straight with Open
49 Source, but the Intel Atom does attract my attention. Ideally,
50 I'd prefer something based on the latest ARM chip (13?) or such
51 but, I'd prefer not going it alone in support.
54 So, I mention this, so you know that my needs(desires) are not very
55 far off from what you are seeking (a nicely support video chip(gpu)
56 my be more than you want. Certainly similar cores with max ram are
57 ideal.
61 hth,
62 James