From: Christopher Friedt <chrisfriedt@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] personal compile-farm ?
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 12:19:49
1 Hi Karl,
2
3 On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 1:07 PM, Karl Hiramoto<karl@××××××××.org> wrote:
4 >> For those who have a multi-core compile-farm at home, is there a
5 >> largely noticeable difference in speed?
6
7 Sorry, that should read 'difference in speed for builds'.
8
9 > I don't have an atom myself but from looking at the specs, for the same
10 > amount of money, i'd think you'd be better of with a single machine with
11 > lots of RAM and 4 to 8 cores with lots of cache for compiling.
12
13 Thanks for your reply.
14
15 I'm primarily interested in something that uses a smaller form-factor
16 for power, noise pollution, and space reasons, but 4 to 8 cores
17 probably doesn't fit in that class.
18
19 Most certainly I'll be installing the maximum amount of RAM possible -
20 i do practically all builds now using tmpfs, since RAM has gotten so
21 amazingly cheap and fast, so yes, RAM is key.
22
23 CCACHE also helps out considerably, but I haven't been using it lately
24 out of fear that it had some interference issues with ${CROSS}-emerge
25 .
26
27 Cheers,
28