From: Karl Hiramoto <karl@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] personal compile-farm ?
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 11:08:43
1 Christopher Friedt wrote:
2 > Hi everyone,
3 >
4 > For a long time I've been considering various mini-itx form-factor
5 > devices for multi-purpose use at home, as an HTPC, NAS, maybe messing
6 > around with osx86, etc.
7 >
8 > One particular use that I wanted to make of such a device would be to
9 > use it as my own personal compile-farm, for various arm
10 > cross-compilation builds, and binary packages for my laptop / netbook.
11 >
12 > Recently, I was considering the Zotac IONITX-A. I would consider this
13 > a fairly powerful, yet low-power device, with an Atom 330 dual-core
14 > processor at 1.6 GHz and nVidia GPU ( Ion / 9400m ). I'm more than
15 > certain that it would work well as an HTPC, but for a personal build
16 > machine, I'd like to hear some feedback.
17 >
18 > Does anyone on the list have a similar network-appliance that they use
19 > for a personal compile-farm ? Neither of my aging x86 machines offer
20 > any CPU features greater than sse2, and neither have multiple-cores.
21 >
22 > For those who have a multi-core compile-farm at home, is there a
23 > largely noticeable difference in speed?
26 I don't have an atom myself but from looking at the specs, for the same
27 amount of money, i'd think you'd be better of with a single machine with
28 lots of RAM and 4 to 8 cores with lots of cache for compiling.
29
30 Then multiple of those more powerful machines if you need.
35 Karl Hiramoto http://karl.hiramoto.org/