From: Christopher Friedt <chrisfriedt@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] personal compile-farm ?
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 10:48:39
1 Hi everyone,
2
3 For a long time I've been considering various mini-itx form-factor
4 devices for multi-purpose use at home, as an HTPC, NAS, maybe messing
5 around with osx86, etc.
6
7 One particular use that I wanted to make of such a device would be to
8 use it as my own personal compile-farm, for various arm
9 cross-compilation builds, and binary packages for my laptop / netbook.
10
11 Recently, I was considering the Zotac IONITX-A. I would consider this
12 a fairly powerful, yet low-power device, with an Atom 330 dual-core
13 processor at 1.6 GHz and nVidia GPU ( Ion / 9400m ). I'm more than
14 certain that it would work well as an HTPC, but for a personal build
15 machine, I'd like to hear some feedback.
16
17 Does anyone on the list have a similar network-appliance that they use
18 for a personal compile-farm ? Neither of my aging x86 machines offer
19 any CPU features greater than sse2, and neither have multiple-cores.
20
21 For those who have a multi-core compile-farm at home, is there a
22 largely noticeable difference in speed?
23
24 If anyone does have a Zotac IONITX-A, how is the heat dissipation? Fan
25 or no fan?
26
27 Cheers,
28
29 Chris
30 On a slightly related note
31 PS: Alternatively, there has been some mention [1] of a dual-core
32 Ion-based device for the next AppleTV model or Mac Mini.
33
34 [1] http://www.tomshardware.com/news/apple-mac-nvidia-ion,6849.html