From: Karl Hiramoto <karl@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] personal compile-farm ?
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 13:55:15
1 Christopher Friedt wrote:
2 > Hi Karl,
3 >
4 > On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 1:07 PM, Karl Hiramoto<karl@××××××××.org> wrote:
5 >
6 >>> For those who have a multi-core compile-farm at home, is there a
7 >>> largely noticeable difference in speed?
8 >>>
9 >
10 > Sorry, that should read 'difference in speed for builds'.
13 >> I don't have an atom myself but from looking at the specs, for the same
14 >> amount of money, i'd think you'd be better of with a single machine with
15 >> lots of RAM and 4 to 8 cores with lots of cache for compiling.
18 > Thanks for your reply.
19 >
20 > I'm primarily interested in something that uses a smaller form-factor
21 > for power, noise pollution, and space reasons, but 4 to 8 cores
22 > probably doesn't fit in that class.
25 If you don't mind waiting a long time for your atom to compile, then i
26 suppose it's ok. But compute wise, its pretty weak.
27
28 See the benchmarks a core 2 duo is many times faster than a atom:
29 http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-atom-efficiency,2069-8.html
32 If noise and space is a primary concern but you want more compute power
33 than an atom, then you could check out Aopen and logic supply, they are
34 more expensive than atoms though, but you get what you pay for.
35
36 http://www.logicsupply.com/blog/2008/10/10/introducing-the-all-new-fanless-core-2-duo-system-the-gs-l10/
37 http://usa.aopen.com/
38
39 I've used some aopen products withe Core2 duos for HTPC and been
40 happy. Some of them have integrated IR receiver, and HD out which
41 makes it nice.
46 Karl Hiramoto http://karl.hiramoto.org/