From: Christopher Friedt <chrisfriedt@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] personal compile-farm ?
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 15:22:35
1 On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 3:53 PM, Karl Hiramoto<karl@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > See the benchmarks a core 2 duo is many times faster than a atom:
3 > http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-atom-efficiency,2069-8.html
4
5 These benchmarks are for the Atom N230, as opposed to the dual-core
6 Atom N330, so not really a valid comparison. Clearly, any dual-core
7 chip will always outperform a comparable single-core chip.
8
9 For me, there's a some likelihood that even an Atom N230 will still
10 outperform the Pentium-M that I have in my laptop at the moment, so
11 for me, anything would really be an improvement. Having a dual-core
12 Atom for a build machine would mean 4 concurrent threads instead of 2.
13
14 I guess I should really just ask ...
15
16 Has anyone recently upgraded their Gentoo machine from a single-core
17 to a dual-core processor, and if so, was there a clearly noticeable
18 increase in build speed ?