From: Ingo Krabbe <ikrabbe.ask@×××.de>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] file system question
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 09:06:38
1 On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 06:42:15PM -0400, David Relson wrote:
2 > G'day,
3 >
4 > I'm porting the software for an embedded medical device from DOS to
5 > Linux and am wondering which file systems are appropriate and which are
6 > not. The device's mass storage is a Disk-on-Module solid state flash
7 > drive. Data is presently written at approx 100 bytes every 30 seconds
8 > but that might change to 100 bytes every second. The device has a
9 > watchdog (recently activated) and during today's session it was
10 > triggered and wiped out my file system.
11 >
12 > Anybody have recommendations on which file system to use and the
13 > appropriate settings?
14 >
15 > Anybody have suggested readings so I can educate myself?
16
17 First I would read about Wear Levelling (Wikipedia). Maybe your device already
18 implements TrueFFS or ExtremeFFS with low-level wear levelling, so it might be
19 enough to just use any other file system upon. Then I would choose a simple
20 ext2 file system, though I can't tell the wear levelling really works. Are
21 there methods to debug that?
22
23 I think the best choose for you might be a JFFS2 Filesystem. Or just choose one
24 from "Flash file system" in Wikipedia.
25
26 bye ingo