From: Karl Hiramoto <karl@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] file system question
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 13:09:30
1 On 03/30/2010 10:40 AM, Ingo Krabbe wrote:
2 > On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 06:42:15PM -0400, David Relson wrote:
3 >
4 >> G'day,
5 >>
6 >> I'm porting the software for an embedded medical device from DOS to
7 >> Linux and am wondering which file systems are appropriate and which are
8 >> not. The device's mass storage is a Disk-on-Module solid state flash
9 >> drive. Data is presently written at approx 100 bytes every 30 seconds
10 >> but that might change to 100 bytes every second. The device has a
11 >> watchdog (recently activated) and during today's session it was
12 >> triggered and wiped out my file system.
13 >>
14 >> Anybody have recommendations on which file system to use and the
15 >> appropriate settings?
16 >>
17 >> Anybody have suggested readings so I can educate myself?
18 >>
19 > First I would read about Wear Levelling (Wikipedia). Maybe your device already
20 > implements TrueFFS or ExtremeFFS with low-level wear levelling, so it might be
21 > enough to just use any other file system upon. Then I would choose a simple
22 > ext2 file system, though I can't tell the wear levelling really works. Are
23 > there methods to debug that?
24 >
25 > I think the best choose for you might be a JFFS2 Filesystem. Or just choose one
26 > from "Flash file system" in Wikipedia.
27 >
28 > bye ingo
31 You should ignore this advice about a wear leveling FS, if your
32 Disk-on-module device does it's own internal wear leveling. Check your
33 module specs. For example Compact Flash modules have their own
34 internal wear leveling and a wear leveling FS will do more writes to the
35 flash then necessary.