From: wireless <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] GPS board
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 21:06:20
1 Hello Gentoo-embedded world,
2
3 Well, I just had my Garmin 1490T die
4 and it's only 2 years old. (a little bit
5 hacked off about this, as the unit was well
6 cared for.
7
8 So, I'm looking at options to build/hack a
9 GPS device, combined with some sort of
10 embedded gentoo friendly Tablet.
13 I'm thinking of multiple channels
14 of audio output so it is a 5.1 mp3 player too,
15 for a boat or a RV or an car. Mobile so it can
16 be moved between vehicles with a quick connect
17 to sensors and speakers.
18
19 Previously, I have stumbled across sites
20 where folks have started developing street,
21 wilderness and near shore maps for marine
22 navigation. I have not formally researched
23 open source mapping efforts, so any feedback
24 on that issue is keenly welcome.
25
26 Any discussion, or recommendations on an
27 open source project, I could build upon
28 would be keen. Such things and GPS rf
29 chip solutions, audio chips, SOC (that run
30 embedded linux easily, dev boards from
31 semiconductor companies, open source boards
32 (with e_gentoo already installed, etc etc.
33
34 Your thoughts and ideas are welcome too,
35 as I do not want to reinvent the wheel
36 if is not necessary!
39 James