From: Kristian Benoit <kbenoit@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Differences between open-embedded and gentoo-embedded.
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 16:06:54
1 Thank you tommy, that's exactly what I was looking for !! :)
2
3 Kris
4
5 On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 10:39 -0400, Tommy B wrote:
6 > Kristian Benoit wrote:
7 >
8 > >Thanks, but I'm still wondering what are de differences. Like what make
9 > >gentoo-embedded what it is and what make's open-embedded what it is.
13 > I'm a dev on the nslu2-linux project. It uses open-embedded to build 3rd
14 > party firmware to reflash the Linksys NSLU2 NAS with custom firmware.
15 > Open-embeddeed is a combination of a tool (bitbake) and meta-data (kinda
16 > like ebuilds) focused on building open-source embedded systems. It's
17 > evolved over the last several years and is very embedded focused. It
18 > does many things well, however, it is somewhat complex and not nearly as
19 > encompasing as Gentoo. There are a couple thousand packages in the
20 > open-embedded repository, but nothing like Gentoo. It is also in a very
21 > high state of flux and things are often broken because of all the
22 > change. The user community is very technical and expects people to dig
23 > into the source, patches and python scripts/code that run things.
24 > Finally, open-embedded is libc agnostic, does a lot of
25 > cross-compilation well and builds everything as a normal user.
26 >
27 > Gentoo-embedded is the long process of teaching Gentoo to do the
28 > cross-compliation and embedded systems well. Gentoo embedded supports
29 > uClibc and has made tremendous progress in the last 6 months.
30 > Gentoo-embedded and project like GNAP are really starting to ramp-up.
31 >
32 > A lot depends on your project, arch, and what your are trying to do and
33 > what you like.
34 >
35 > Each has lots of trade-offs.
38 > >Kris