From: Tommy B <gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Differences between open-embedded and gentoo-embedded.
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 14:38:28
1 Kristian Benoit wrote:
2
3 >Thanks, but I'm still wondering what are de differences. Like what make
4 >gentoo-embedded what it is and what make's open-embedded what it is.
8 I'm a dev on the nslu2-linux project. It uses open-embedded to build 3rd
9 party firmware to reflash the Linksys NSLU2 NAS with custom firmware.
10 Open-embeddeed is a combination of a tool (bitbake) and meta-data (kinda
11 like ebuilds) focused on building open-source embedded systems. It's
12 evolved over the last several years and is very embedded focused. It
13 does many things well, however, it is somewhat complex and not nearly as
14 encompasing as Gentoo. There are a couple thousand packages in the
15 open-embedded repository, but nothing like Gentoo. It is also in a very
16 high state of flux and things are often broken because of all the
17 change. The user community is very technical and expects people to dig
18 into the source, patches and python scripts/code that run things.
19 Finally, open-embedded is libc agnostic, does a lot of
20 cross-compilation well and builds everything as a normal user.
21
22 Gentoo-embedded is the long process of teaching Gentoo to do the
23 cross-compliation and embedded systems well. Gentoo embedded supports
24 uClibc and has made tremendous progress in the last 6 months.
25 Gentoo-embedded and project like GNAP are really starting to ramp-up.
26
27 A lot depends on your project, arch, and what your are trying to do and
28 what you like.
29
30 Each has lots of trade-offs.
33 >Kris