From: Jason <gentoo@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] JTAG console wierdness
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 20:14:03
1 Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Thursday 11 October 2007, Jason wrote:
3 >> I'm having a small issue with a Gateworks GW2348-4 [1] ixp4xx board. I
4 >> attached the RXD, TXD, and GND lines from an FTDI USB serial TTL cable
5 >> to the appropriate JTAG pins (RXD, TXD, GND).
6 >
7 > i'm confused ... JTAG != RS232 ... i dont see how you can hook up a RS232 port
8 > to JTAG pins and get a serial console ...
9
10 Right. The FTDI cable is a usb serial device on one side and 3.3v TTL
11 on the other. The JTAG port on the GW2348-4 has the JTAG pins as well
12 as the 3.3v TTL RXD, TXD and GND for a serial console. I'm still
13 learning this, so I probably have my verbage screwed up. :-) But, I did
14 the same thing on the NSLU2 and it worked flawlessly.
15
16 >> I can see the bootup messages in minicom, both RedBoot and Linux. It
17 >> dumps me to a command prompt, but that's it. The errors I see are:
18 >>
19 >> 1.) CTRL-C to RedBoot yields periods and doesn't stop the boot process.
20 >> 2.) what I type echoes back, but hitting Enter goes to the beginning of
21 >> the line, and doesn't go down a line.
22 >> 3.) no response to any commands eg 'ls<CR>' does not give me a list of
23 >> directories...
24 >> 4.) I do have Local Echo turned off, so I'm reasonably confident that
25 >> the characters I'm seeing are being seen by the board and echoed back.
26 >> I tried passing minicom '-7' or '-8' with no improvement. I did get a
27 >> chinese character for CTRL-C with '-8' as opposed to a period in RedBoot.
28 >> 5.) I managed to catch the 2sec window to telnet into redboot and load
29 >> my own kernel and rootfs to ram, and execute, but I get the exact same
30 >> effects.
31 >> 6.) The exact same cable, minicom, kernel, and rootfs (made with
32 >> crossdev/xmerge/xkmake for the OT! criers :-) ) works fine when booted
33 >> on an NSLU2...
34 >
35 > so the board never seems to respond and all your output gets echoed back ?
36 > sounds like the hardware wiring isnt correct ...
37 > -mike
38
39 That's what I'm leaning towards since I had to build my own connector.
40 I was hoping that it was maybe a $TERM problem. On the board TERM=dumb,
41 on my side, TERM=screen or TERM=xterm. But that wouldn't explain it
42 happening in RedBoot.
43
44 So what kind of wiring error would cause CTRL-C (0x03) and <CR> 0x0d to
45 not get passed correctly, but [a-zA-Z0-9] to go through okay?
46
47 Jason.
48 --
49 gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list