From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Cc: Jason <gentoo@××××××××××.net>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] JTAG console wierdness
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 14:46:23
1 On Thursday 11 October 2007, Jason wrote:
2 > I'm having a small issue with a Gateworks GW2348-4 [1] ixp4xx board. I
3 > attached the RXD, TXD, and GND lines from an FTDI USB serial TTL cable
4 > to the appropriate JTAG pins (RXD, TXD, GND).
5
6 i'm confused ... JTAG != RS232 ... i dont see how you can hook up a RS232 port
7 to JTAG pins and get a serial console ...
8
9 > I can see the bootup messages in minicom, both RedBoot and Linux. It
10 > dumps me to a command prompt, but that's it. The errors I see are:
11 >
12 > 1.) CTRL-C to RedBoot yields periods and doesn't stop the boot process.
13 > 2.) what I type echoes back, but hitting Enter goes to the beginning of
14 > the line, and doesn't go down a line.
15 > 3.) no response to any commands eg 'ls<CR>' does not give me a list of
16 > directories...
17 > 4.) I do have Local Echo turned off, so I'm reasonably confident that
18 > the characters I'm seeing are being seen by the board and echoed back.
19 > I tried passing minicom '-7' or '-8' with no improvement. I did get a
20 > chinese character for CTRL-C with '-8' as opposed to a period in RedBoot.
21 > 5.) I managed to catch the 2sec window to telnet into redboot and load
22 > my own kernel and rootfs to ram, and execute, but I get the exact same
23 > effects.
24 > 6.) The exact same cable, minicom, kernel, and rootfs (made with
25 > crossdev/xmerge/xkmake for the OT! criers :-) ) works fine when booted
26 > on an NSLU2...
27
28 so the board never seems to respond and all your output gets echoed back ?
29 sounds like the hardware wiring isnt correct ...
30 -mike