From: Jason <gentoo@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] JTAG console wierdness
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 17:09:13
1 I'm having a small issue with a Gateworks GW2348-4 [1] ixp4xx board. I
2 attached the RXD, TXD, and GND lines from an FTDI USB serial TTL cable
3 to the appropriate JTAG pins (RXD, TXD, GND).
4
5 I can see the bootup messages in minicom, both RedBoot and Linux. It
6 dumps me to a command prompt, but that's it. The errors I see are:
7
8 1.) CTRL-C to RedBoot yields periods and doesn't stop the boot process.
9 2.) what I type echoes back, but hitting Enter goes to the beginning of
10 the line, and doesn't go down a line.
11 3.) no response to any commands eg 'ls<CR>' does not give me a list of
12 directories...
13 4.) I do have Local Echo turned off, so I'm reasonably confident that
14 the characters I'm seeing are being seen by the board and echoed back.
15 I tried passing minicom '-7' or '-8' with no improvement. I did get a
16 chinese character for CTRL-C with '-8' as opposed to a period in RedBoot.
17 5.) I managed to catch the 2sec window to telnet into redboot and load
18 my own kernel and rootfs to ram, and execute, but I get the exact same
19 effects.
20 6.) The exact same cable, minicom, kernel, and rootfs (made with
21 crossdev/xmerge/xkmake for the OT! criers :-) ) works fine when booted
22 on an NSLU2...
23
24 Any terminal gurus here have any idea what I messed up?
25
26 btw - minicom is set to 115200, 8n1, no HW flow, no SW flow. RedBoot
27 and the first linux are factory loads.
28
29 thx,
30
31 Jason