From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] gcc-4.6 / bionic
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 05:08:55
On Tuesday, April 05, 2011 22:39:48 Christopher Friedt wrote:
> BSD userland politics aside, I wonder what the typical steps would be > to 'port' gentoo over to a bionic-based libc. Something like the > following? > > 1) manually build a bionic cross-toolchain > 2) do some basic verification with the cross-toolchain (static exe, > exe that uses .so, .so, etc) > 3) build a native toolchain with the cross-toolchain, record build > steps / patches along the way > 4) manually bootstrap gentoo natively, record build steps / patches > along the way > 5) set up overlays: portage, crossdev, bionic, gcc, etc
put together an ebuild for bionic, add support to crossdev to mark *-bionic targets to use the bionic ebuild, and that's about it. you could add your own KEYWORD, but doesnt seem like it'd be worth it. as for the rest, considering the fundamental limitations they've added to bionic (limited libpthreads/libm/etc...), i dont think a "full" blown port makes much sense. bionic is a toy libc meant for one thing -- get a java vm running on top of it. if you want a "real" embedded Linux system, uClibc makes a hell of a lot more sense. so feel free to put together a bionic ebuild to get into the tree, and a crossdev/toolchain.eclass patch should be trivial. -mike