From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] SATA on Pandaboard?
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 22:04:48
1 wireless wrote:
2 > I looked at the schematic and saw nothing. I saw
3 > the USB, but wanted SATA, as in a home-built
4 > Netbook type of application was my immediate desire.
5
6 I think you'll have to settle for USB unless you're prepared to build
7 an expansion board. But seems expansion will be USB as well.
10 > With that kind of processing power and DVI & HDMI out, I
11 > had a hard time believing there is no SATA native
12 > or hacked hardware solution.
13
14 I think you'll have to believe it. :) SATA requires transceivers
15 in about the same class as DVI/HDMI. I can certainly imagine that
16 only one set of transceivers would fit the chip area/price point,
17 and I think graphics was the right choice in that case.
20 > It's intended for mobile, so why not support sata (for laptop size HD)?
21
22 I think it's too "clunky" for the intentions of the OMAP.
23
24 And using a mechanical device in a mobile project is a bad idea. SSDs
25 sure, but they are only an afterthought since many devices already use
26 hard drives. If making a new platform or a new device, then best not
27 go that route, better use the flash controller and some NAND.
30 > Hard to believe that was missed or is not forthcoming, imho.
31
32 Maybe someone will make a SATA daughterboard, but since there's no
33 PCI bus it would have to be based on one of the USB->SATA chipsets
34 which are all pretty crappy. It could certainly be done though.
37 > I looked at the url above and saw no listing of sata.
38
39 I would look at something like the block diagram instead:
40
41 http://pandaboard.org/sites/default/files/PandaBoard_block_diagram.png
44 > This is the right community, since it is
45 > clearly posted in the handbook.
46
47 I didn't try to say that your question was inappropriate, I meant
48 that the "upstream" pandaboard.org community would know way more
49 about the topic, including past ongoing and future efforts, so it
50 would likely be more rewarding to ask there.
53 > I will post elsewhere and
54 > I have already asked TI directly about sata support on that
55 > OMAP family.... but no answers yet.
56
57 Have a look at the documentation that they have published..
58
59 Google OMAP4430, first hit:
60
61 OMAP™ 4 Platform - OMAP4430/OMAP4440
62 http://focus.ti.com/general/docs/wtbu/wtbuproductcontent.tsp?contentId=53243&navigationId=12843&templateId=6123
63
64 First link on that page:
65
66 Chip Block Diagram
67 http://focus.ti.com/en/graphics/wtbu/OMAP4430_zoom.jpg
70 > Much of the information and docs are just too new
71 > to be complete.
72
73 Most of TIs docs are nearly two years old.
76 > No doubt, since the gerbers et. al. exist, it wont be long before
77 > somebody puts a SATA bus interface, to this project.
78
79 I guess the ease of a $15 USB->SATA converter will mean most don't
80 bother.
83 > Me, I can think of DNS servers (sata not required); AND mail
84 > servers and media servers where SATA is critical,
85
86 Hehe. I wouldn't trust SATA drives for critical things. But I
87 certainly agree that Cortex-A will reach into the server market!
90 > just off the top of my head. Sure USB is ok, but native sata would
91 > be much cooler, imho.
92
93 Hm, why?
96 > So sorry if I ruffled your feathers.....
97
98 No feathers ruffled the least, just a thought that you could better
99 information elsewhere. Sorry if I was too terse and came off as
100 hating. I also think the board is very nice! :)
103 //Peter