From: wireless <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] SATA on Pandaboard?
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 21:04:58
1 Previously you wrote:
2 > wireless wrote:
3 >> I did not see a SATA or IDE bus support? Is this possible? Or is
4 >> SD my only choice?
5 >
6 > I would ask in the right community to get better answers.
7 > But the pictures at least clearly show USB connectors besides SD.
8
9 I looked at the schematic and saw nothing. I saw
10 the USB, but wanted SATA, as in a home-built
11 Netbook type of application was my immediate desire.
12 With that kind of processing power and DVI & HDMI out, I
13 had a hard time believing there is no SATA native
14 or hacked hardware solution. It's intended for mobile,
15 so why not support sata (for laptop size HD)?
16 Hard to believe that was missed or is not forthcoming,
17 imho.
18
19 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/handbook/?part=4&chap=9
22 I looked at the url above and saw no listing of sata.
23 I read about this off of the gentoo embedded handbook
24 as the latest entry {boards 9}, so I was hoping Armin or
25 somebody had tried Sata or knew of a Sata solution for this
26 hardware maybe in a different (newly pending) version of the
27 processor or board. This is the right community, since it is
28 clearly posted in the handbook. I will post elsewhere and I
29 have already asked TI directly about sata support on that
30 OMAP family.... but no answers yet.
33 Much of the information and docs are just too new
34 to be complete. Just like the previous OSWALD-gentoo
35 connection that I discovered, flushing out a story in the
36 Linux Journal on this list, I hoped to uncover a deep
37 connection between PandaBoard and Gentoo........... Who
38 knows maybe somebody else on this list, besides Armin, is
39 deeply involved in the PandaBoard efforts. No doubt, since
40 the gerbers et. al. exist, it wont be long before somebody
41 puts a SATA bus interface, to this project. Me, I can think
42 of DNS servers (sata not required); AND mail servers and
43 media servers where SATA is critical, just off the top of my
44 head. Sure USB is ok, but native sata would be much cooler,
45 imho. Power savings alone will pay for the $174(us) price
46 tag. I've already ordered one from digikey.
47
48 So sorry if I ruffled your feathers.....
49 (apologies, my Liege)!
53 James