From: Brian Jackson <iggy@g.o>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] dell axim x50
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 15:53:13
1 On Sat, 2005-04-09 at 16:52 +0200, Peter Karlsson wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 >
4 > I'm thinking of purchasing an dell axim x50. There seems to be someone
5 > working on it at 'http://handhelds.org/moin/moin.cgi/DellAximX50' but the
6 > mail-list is non-existant and the info seems really sketchy to say the
7 > least. Is there anyone on this list that has any experience in porting
8 > linux to handhelds, perhaps in collaboration with 'familiar-linux' and
9 > 'www.handhelds.org'? What kind of tools (hard- and software-wise) is
10 > needed?
11
12 There appears to be at least some support for some of the Axims in the
13 handhelds.org kernel. It's probably not all there (especially for a
14 newer axim model). If you don't have kernel hacking skills, you'll
15 probably do a lot of waiting for someone else. If you think you can
16 handle that, go for it.
17
18 Personally, I'd say cough up the extra money to get an ipaq that works
19 already. Then you get started directly on the next step.
22 > I would like to run a gentoo derived 'distro' on this machine... and
23 > ultimately would like to run octave+gnuplot, a calendar app, memo app and
24 > if at all possible even gps. I guess I have a lot of work cut out for me
25 > (right?). :-)
26
27 Yes, lots of work. I'm the only one currently that seems to have the
28 knowledge (well, I'm good at sucking it out of spanky and solar
29 anyways), the desire, and the hardware to work with PDAs. The hardware
30 part is the big one. I have a sneaking suspicion that spanky could get
31 this all going in no time if he had the hardware. As for me, I've got
32 very limited time lately. So, aside from being able to answer your
33 questions, and point you in the right direction on some stuff, I don't
34 think I'd be much help.
35
36 --Iggy
39 > Best regards