From: Christopher Friedt <cfriedt@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] profiles for reduced disk usage
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 13:47:28
1 Does anyone know if there is a portage profile for reduced disk writes?
2 I just got an EEE pc and I'm experimenting on a USB stick before I write
3 to the SDD. I'm sort of guessing that such a profile would basically
4 just slightly alter the default configuration files of certain apps to
5 either turn off logging or to mount temporary directories as tmpfs.
6
7 Does such a profile sound closer to embedded, or would it be a desktop
8 profile without the logger, etc, etc.
9
10 It seems the line between embedded and default is growing thinner every day!
11
12 I guess I'm looking for something that's more or less a Desktop profile,
13 but something that would be more suitable for flash-based devices, like
14 the OpenMoko/Neo, EEE Pc, or a Maemo.
15
16 Nedd, I've been using qmerge with my arm packages by the way, and it's
17 fantastic. I'm really looking forward to using it more. At some point
18 I'm hoping to use, augment or write a graphical app for installing
19 packages locally and also remotely via ssh or some web interface.
20
21 Cheers,
22
23 Chris