From: Joshua ChaitinPollak <jpollak@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Cc: Andrew Hoffman <andrew@×××××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] profiles for reduced disk usage
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 14:07:57
1 Chris,
2
3 I think you'll still want to use the desktop profile, but configure
4 your /tmp and /var/log to be mounted on a shared file system. What
5 I've done in my embedded system is modify the inittab file to mount
6 tmp on a shmfs file system, and the create directories called /tmp/var/
7 log and /tmp/var/lock. The root file system (on disk), has symbolic
8 links in place at /var/log and /var/lock that point to /tmp/var/log
9 and /tmp/var/lock, respectively. This works fine, because by the time
10 any process is ready to write to /var/log, the inittab has already
11 mounted the shared file system and made the target directories of the
12 symbolic links.
13
14 I think this would work for you, but its a bit of manual configuration
15 you'll have to work through.
16
17 I don't know how you'd handle things like Firefox's cache, I don't
18 know any way to reduce its writes or redirect them out of your profile.