From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: Anders Eriksson <aeriksson@××××××××.fm>
Cc: "Peter S. Mazinger" <ps.m@×××.net>, gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Taking uclibc-only for a spin...
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 14:29:29
1 On Sat, 2004-07-10 at 09:23, Anders Eriksson wrote:
2 > Hi there,
3 >
4 > I've used uclibc for quite some time for embedded projects of mine,
5 > and begun using gentoo about a year ago. I'd like to take your
6 > uclibc-only work for a spin, but have failed at that. Is there a
7 > setp-by-step writeup of how to do it?
8
9 no docs yet.. It's all a work in progress now.
12 > I'm not familiar enough with the
13 > gentoo internals (yet) to find it out myself I'm afraid (is there a
14 > doc on masking in gentoo somewhere??).
15 man 5 portage
18 > What I did,
19 >
20 > 1) Get and install stage1 tarball intoan empty dir,
21 unless you used Peter's stage one this is not going to work. I had to
22 learn this the hardway myself. In the end I used Peter's fauxed stage1
23 and did a USE='-* build uclibc'
24
25 > 2) mount -o ro -bind /usr/portage /playground/usr/portage
26 > 3) chroot /playground /bin/bash
27 > 4) cd /usr/portage
28
29 > 5) scripts/bootstrap.sh
30 the profile is a cascading on and you must use bootstrap-cascade.sh
31
32 > 6) changed /etc/make.profile to point to ../usr/portage/profiles/uclibc/hardened
33 > as a guess having read the REAME in there.
34 > 7) emerge -pve system (seemed to remove glibc)
35 > 8) Nothing else happened, and no sightings of uclibc (thought the profile change would bring that in, HOWTO on profiles anywhere?)
36 > 9) emerge uclibc complains about missing kernel sources (should I have installed stage2? I figured the less stuff in there the less things to fork-lift to uclibc, I guess everthing needs to be recompiled for uclibc)
39 > Stuck. Should I apply some patches to something? Following the list
40 > discussions I figured that you have most of the work-in-progress in
41 > the tree and use of ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=~x86" would pull it in, and we/I
42 > could report any breakage.... (masking is a bit unchartered territory
43 > for me, so there might be aspects of this I dont get yet...)
44
45 I sent a mail to the uClist about this a few days ago with a few details on how to get started for developers here http://uclibc.org/lists/uclibc/2004-July/009336.html
46
47 > I'd be glad to test this if you can provide guidance....
48 >
49 > BR,
50 >
51 > /Anders
55 > --
56 > gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list
57 --
58 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
59 Gentoo (hardened,security,infrastructure,embedded,toolchain) Developer