From: Jason Cooper <gentoo@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] creating a new aarch64 keyword
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 22:02:22
1 Mike,
2
3 On Thu, Jan 09, 2014 at 12:03:52PM -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote:
4 > originally i was going to reuse ARCH=arm for aarch64 (and that's what the code
5 > in the tree is doing now). however, after playing with things and debating it
6 > in my head, i think we should create a new ARCH=aarch64.
7 >
8 > reasons:
9 > - aarch64 is not a simple extension over arm at the ISA level like x86_64 is
10 > over i686. it's a new ISA.
11 > - hand written assembly language cannot be shared at all -- with x86_64, you
12 > could sometimes write code that the assembler would automatically turn into
13 > the right output (64bit/x32/32bit).
14 > - the aarch64 gcc port itself does not support arm -- you need a complete
15 > second toolchain
16 > - the way the hardware is being designed, it is possible to have a CPU that
17 > only supports aarch64 (no arm at all)
18
19 Agreed. What platform (if any) are you developing/testing on?
20
21 thx,
22
23 Jason.