From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] creating a new aarch64 keyword
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2014 17:03:54
1 originally i was going to reuse ARCH=arm for aarch64 (and that's what the code
2 in the tree is doing now). however, after playing with things and debating it
3 in my head, i think we should create a new ARCH=aarch64.
4
5 reasons:
6 - aarch64 is not a simple extension over arm at the ISA level like x86_64 is
7 over i686. it's a new ISA.
8 - hand written assembly language cannot be shared at all -- with x86_64, you
9 could sometimes write code that the assembler would automatically turn into
10 the right output (64bit/x32/32bit).
11 - the aarch64 gcc port itself does not support arm -- you need a complete
12 second toolchain
13 - the way the hardware is being designed, it is possible to have a CPU that
14 only supports aarch64 (no arm at all)
15
16 it does mean we'll have to re-seed ebuilds with KEYWORDS=aarch64, but that's
17 just how it goes.
18 -mike