From: Nicola Mfb <nicola.mfb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] Some question about gentoo/openmoko
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 09:52:01
1 Hi!
2 I'm using gentoo on freerunner and I'm quite happy with it. Actually I'm
3 emerging natively to have access to a bigger number of applications than
4 using cross-compilation and to help in ~arm keywording. To avoid taking the
5 phone at home, emerging stuff and breaking the SD card with too many writes,
6 I'm using a qemu-system-arm box building binary packages, and it's really
7 slow (but faster the real device), for example qt 4.5.0 compiled in about 1
8 week. As of this I'm trying to avoid perodic "emerge -e", and reuse the
9 stuff already emerged, so I need some tips to mantain a coerhent build
10 system.
11
12 Last night I updated the openmoko overlay and noted that the xorg-server
13 ebuild was updated, but when doing emerge -DuNpv world it did not appear in
14 the list of rebuilding package. I think this is due the fact that the
15 package did not changed the revision number. So is it possible to tell
16 emerge to check that the ebuild was effectively changed for example checking
17 the /var/db/pkg/* stuff? As alternative is there a ready to use script to do
18 these cheks?
19
20 The second question is about dependencies as it may be that some packages in
21 the last weeks loosed or gained some dependencies, or that them was
22 autopicked from filesystem with autotools, to clean the system is the
23 "emerge -e world && emerge --depclean && revdev-rebuild" the only solution?
24
25 May I suppose that cleaning /var/lib/portage/world from stuff, doing
26 "ROOT=/stage4 emerge -gK world", chrooting to /stage4 and doing
27 revdev-rebuild take me to the same results? May I produce a stage3 in the
28 same way?
29
30 And last! do you know some fastand cheap arm based hardware I may use for
31 arm native compilation? I'm interested in
32 http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/24/marvells-sheevaplug-linux-pc-fits-in-its-power-adapter/but
33 I did not know if I may have issues using the openmoko toolchain on
34 it.
35
36 Thanks
37