From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Looking for low-latency docs
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 07:47:20
1 On Monday 30 March 2009 18:32:21 Wolfgang Denk wrote:
2 > In message Arkadi wrote:
3 > > As for being dead horse, world moved on and other claims - I will not
4 > > flame on this, but your opinion seems to be an over-generalization.
5 >
6 > I don't think so. This is an embedded list, so x86 is just one among
7 > many architectures here.
8 >
9 > > Both RTAI and Xenomai are fine pieces of software, there is no need to
10 > > discredit another project to make your favorite look good.
11 > > As original poster asked about applied theory, the RTAI site is still
12 > > good starting point to research for more information.
13 >
14 > Well, did you actually try using RTAI on, say, any PowerPC or MIPS
15 > system lately? With a somewhat recent Linux kernel? Running real-time
16 > aaplications in user-space? With a standard API (POSIX) ? And being
17 > able to debug these? [And please note that I did not ask for any of
18 > the more advanced features, like working FPU support, or SMP, or 64
19 > bit systems, ...]
20 >
21 > All this (and much more) is working out of the box in Xenomai.
22
23 indeed. this is the solution we use on Blackfin systems when people want hard
24 realtime. and we havent had a problem with it being up to date at all.
25 -mike