From: Wolfgang Denk <wd@××××.de>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o, Arkadi Shishlov <arkadi.shishlov@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Looking for low-latency docs
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 22:32:26
1 Dear Arkadi,
2
3 In message <49D13B7C.8030002@×××××.com> you wrote:
4 >
5 > As for being dead horse, world moved on and other claims - I will not flame on
6 > this, but your opinion seems to be an over-generalization.
7
8 I don't think so. This is an embedded list, so x86 is just one among
9 many architectures here.
10
11 > Both RTAI and Xenomai are fine pieces of software, there is no need to discredit
12 > another project to make your favorite look good.
13 > As original poster asked about applied theory, the RTAI site is still good
14 > starting point to research for more information.
15
16 Well, did you actually try using RTAI on, say, any PowerPC or MIPS
17 system lately? With a somewhat recent Linux kernel? Running real-time
18 aaplications in user-space? With a standard API (POSIX) ? And being
19 able to debug these? [And please note that I did not ask for any of
20 the more advanced features, like working FPU support, or SMP, or 64
21 bit systems, ...]
22
23 All this (and much more) is working out of the box in Xenomai.
24
25 Best regards,
26
27 Wolfgang Denk
30 DENX Software Engineering GmbH, MD: Wolfgang Denk & Detlev Zundel
31 HRB 165235 Munich, Office: Kirchenstr.5, D-82194 Groebenzell, Germany
32 Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd@××××.de
33 In the realm of scientific observation, luck is granted only to those
34 who are prepared. - Louis Pasteur